To start making your batting tee, there are several things you are going to need, both tools and parts
Here is the list-
- 1 ¼ in Rubber Leg Tips
- ⅞ in Rubber Leg Tips
- ¾ in Rubber Leg Tips
- 1 Galvanized Floor Flange
- 1 Galvanized Steel Pipe Nipple Razor
- ¾ in Poly pipe Rubber mallet
- ½ in Poly pipe
- Duct Tape Pencil Roll or vinyl electrical tape
- 1 – 15 in heavy duty tire tube(lawn tracker)
- 4 Size wood screws
- 1 piece ¾ thick 12 x 12 in a square piece of plywood
- 1-inch spade drill
- ½ in the spade drill bit
- Heavy-duty scissors
- Tape Measure
- Mark the centre of the square with a pencil after cutting the plywood into a 12-inch × 12 inch square.
- Using the woodscrews, secure the 1 inch galvanised floor flange to the plywood’s middle. The tee base is formed as a result of this.
- Attach the 1-inch x 12 inches galvanised steel pipe nipple to the foundation by screwing it in place.
- Cut the 2-foot x 34 inch PVC pipe to the length you want it. We recommend you go for 3 inches above the top of the steel pipe for small league size, but you may cut the pipe longer for older players and taller tees. This will be inserted into a galvanised steel pipe.
- Using the drill and a 1-inch spade bit, drill a hole through the centre of the 14-inch rubber leg tip. You may need to use a knife to fine-tune the aperture in the rubber tip. Scrape off a small amount at a time until the 34-inch PVC pipe is snug but still able to move up and down.
- Hammer the 14-inch rubber leg tip over the top of the galvanised steel pipe with the rubber mallet.
- Wrap the duct tape around the bottom of the 34-inch PVC pipe two times and insert it into the steel pipe through the rubber leg tip. It should be snug but still, move up and down due to friction. Tap it through the rubber leg tip with the rubber mallet.
- Cut a 2-foot x 1/2 inch PVC pipe to the length you want. For minor league size, here too, we recommend you go 4 inches above the 34-inch pipe, but you may cut the pipe longer for older players and bigger tees. When the 34-inch PVC pipe is fitted into the 34-inch pipe and touches the wood base, you should have at least 4 inches above it.
- Drill out the middle of the 7/8 inch rubber leg tip with the 1/2 inch spade bit and the drill. You may need to use the knife to fine-tune the aperture in the rubber tip. Scrape away a tiny amount at a time until the 1/2 inch PVC pipe is snug but still slides up and down.
- Hammer the 7/8-inch rubber leg tip over the top of the 34-inch PVC pipe with the rubber mallet.
- Wrap the duct tape around the bottom of the 1/2 inch PVC pipe one time and place it into the 34 inch PVC pipe through the rubber leg tip. It should be snug but yet allow you to move up and down. It should be held in place by friction.
- Tap the 34-inch rubber leg tip onto the top of the 12-inch PVC pipe with the mallet. When the inner tube section is attached, this is utilised to protect the rubber top of the tee from splitting and provide a cup for the ball.
- Cut the inner tube as near the valve as possible with heavy-duty scissors or a knife to make it easier to deal with.
- Make a mark on the interior of the inner tube that is about 3 12 inches long. We used duct tape to draw a straight line from the inner tube’s outside edge to the outer tube’s outside edge. This should give you an 8-inch-long outer margin. Two baseball tee tops will be made from this cut.
- To produce two tops, remove the piece from the inner tube and then cut the pipe at both the inner and outside edges.
- Place a piece of duct tape below the rubber leg tip of the 12 inch PVC pipe to serve as a guide for connecting the rubber tee top.
- Begin wrapping the inner tube with the smaller end of the rubber inner tube section around the middle of the duct tape. To form a natural cone, keep the bottom of the inner tube component in line with each other.
- Attach the rubber to the tee using the Vinyl tape. Work your way up from the bottom, where the duct tape is visible. Wrap the tape around the rubber tip of the 12 PVC pipe and secure it. I usually do it twice or three times.
- Trim the top to make everything even.
And finally, to adjust your tee- The duct tape affixed to the PVC pipes can come loose after a lot of use. Simply remove the PVC and apply a new piece of tape.